The Italian Laverda  

 

I am in the process of doing a valve job on my Laverda to correct a damaged
exhaust valve in the left side cylinder.  A compression test had revealed that
cylinder pressure was only half as much as the right side.

A subsequent leakdown test indicated severe pressure loss at the
exhaust valve. I removed the engine and placed it on a small rolling dolly so
that I could move it around.

The cylinder head has been removed and stripped of the valve gear,camshafts,
etc. The exhaust valve had an area that was .6" long on the sealing edge where it
appeared to be burned.  I plan to replace both exhaust valves with new
stainless steel items which I ordered from England (Phil Todd).

Top End Engine Tear Down Pictures